Art Questions? Ask The Builders!

Discuss the story, characters, world, and art of Cards and Castles!
Freshboi37

Re: Art Questions? Ask The Builder?

Post by Freshboi37 »

Interesting art work
Stay Fresh!!!
*New YouTube is Fresh3000 just a heads up :mrgreen:
Tabbune

Post by Tabbune »

I'd prefer the card texf spoiler. Lol.
https://youtu.be/bY4TYYJ-NZw

Thank me later.

I will start a goshdanged riot if Vontre doesn't get rid of the forum autopurge.
Test04

Post by Test04 »

Wow they both look amazing
Test04

Post by Test04 »

I have a question y is the sprite always inversed from the art?
Rev One

Post by Rev One »

For some reason I tend to draw characters looking to the left. For technical reasons (player 1), all of our in game assets face the right. We flip them for player 2.

I wouldn't rule out card borders, but there's no plans right now. We've spent a lot of time trying to find the look for our cards. If you were following my Twitter last week I posted some of the older designs. We're always looking at improving the game.

tbt_cnc_cards.jpg
---
Find me here! http://dylanmarquez.com/
TriPhoenyx

Post by TriPhoenyx »

Rev One wrote:For some reason I tend to draw characters looking to the left. For technical reasons (player 1), all of our in game assets face the right. We flip them for player 2.

I wouldn't rule out card borders, but there's no plans right now. We've spent a lot of time trying to find the look for our cards. If you were following my Twitter last week I posted some of the older designs. We're always looking at improving the game.

tbt_cnc_cards.jpg

Have you considered a looping animation for the cards? (They are not physical after all)

For example, Legendaries could be on fire, foils could shimmer, etc.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles." - Sun Tzu
FredFights

Post by FredFights »

are you going to be realeasing master at arms and loremaster in the next expansion?
Jeechan

Post by Jeechan »

God ,it looks so coooool! Especially that masteratarms.If only it would go to the Vikings faction then it's perfect.
Rev One

Post by Rev One »

Master at Arms is a Viking unit. His design was a mix of Ragnar from the show Vikings, and Cyric, son of Cerdic, from the film King Arthur. There is a batch of Viking units in the next expansion that I'm really excited about. Master at Arms was originally intended for Warlock Academy, so I'm antsy to get him out there.

As you guys can tell, as promised, we've been updating the art ahead of the full Steam release. Here is some of the work that's been updated.

For those interested, here are the revisions that are being made to buildings/units/castles, to bring them up to the proper style:

Removal of all black and white shapes, including black strokes. Black and white are being removed from the game with the exception of text. Black and white create the most possible contrast, which is very distracting and not cohesive, especially in our game where strokes and line work are so important that they are almost like shapes. As a general rule, good art does not use true black and white, because those colors rarely exist in nature, unless of course you are making a specific design decision like a black and white noir film.
    More illustrative style lines and details are added to everything. Awkward harsh angles are being removed.
    Hands are being added to old units. They used to have nubs. It looks silly now compared to the newer content, but more importantly it blends the style from card to unit, in addition to making our style all our own.
    More saturated colors. They're just prettier and in a game with very light animation, color and light are so important to building life through atmosphere and lighting (see the new maps).
    More story telling. Some of the older content we made was very prototype-y and we just didn't have a good sense of lore. We've added more detailed elements to try and make them more unique and interesting

armory.png
armory.png (24.27 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Brewery.png
Eye-blue.png
Eye-blue.png (37.26 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Church-red.png
Church-red.png (27.83 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
building-redtide-red.png
building-redtide-red.png (51.1 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Guild-blue.png
Guild-blue.png (30.64 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
windhall-red.png
Library-blue.png
Library-blue.png (27.31 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Scribe-red.png
Scribe-red.png (28.05 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Templeof5-red.png
Templeof5-red.png (64 KiB) Viewed 61178 times

cc_bg_frozen_2160_1620.jpg
cc_bg_grassland_2160_1620.jpg
Attachments
cc_bg_01_2160_1620.jpg
Merchant-blue.png
Merchant-blue.png (46.08 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
Trade-blue.png
Trade-blue.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 61178 times
---
Find me here! http://dylanmarquez.com/
linderstein

Post by linderstein »

Awesome Work!
hehe the hall of winds reminds me of the doomsday seed bank

The only thing that I dislike is that the art is getting away from its cartoony-ness (which I love)

Revamping the building and castle looks were a very good thing,
however I feel a bit more distant from some of the units like scout and ragnar, who look much more serious or too semi-real semi-cartoon
But I like the work nonetheless (except now i think ragnar looks ugly :p)