Art Questions? Ask The Builders!

Discuss the story, characters, world, and art of Cards and Castles!
TriPhoenyx

Re: Art Questions? Ask The Builder?

Post by TriPhoenyx »

VertuHonagan wrote:I probably shouldn't post this but criticism of all forms should always be welcome.

I'll be honest, I almost didn't give this game a chance when I first heard of it because of the artwork. I'm very picking about artwork and I don't really care for the artwork.

I do however love the artwork on the buildings! You all can draw some great buildings, but when it comes to people the artwork is too boxy and the hands look off place. I have the same problem which is why I'm not fond of that kind of art style.

For example: take a look at professor head wood, his left forearm is twice as big as the rest of his arm and almost half the size of his belly mass.

Like I said, I'm jut picky and keep up the good work with the art in the game! I like the pirate ship castle!

Pure Awsome
Pure Awsome

Did you think it's supposed to be realistic? Art is about flow and emotional impact.

That aside, his forarm is bigger because he's wearing a fluted sleeve. Unless you meant our left (his right) where he is holding a book.

Please be respectful. No one likes a critic.

Thanks

To Rev One:

Thank you for the awesome artwork. Keep it coming! The dynamic style is perfect for a fast-paced card game. Keep it coming!
Last edited by TriPhoenyx on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles." - Sun Tzu
Insomneac826

Post by Insomneac826 »

I like the artwork. Since when is it a bad thing for a video game to be cartoonish and silly looking instead of realistic and gritty looking. I think art like this is more scalable to a wider range of devices of varying capabilities. If it was too "real" looking, it would lag a lot more and have trouble running on more devices. Business 101... make sure as many people as possible can use your product. Not sure if the art direction went this route for that reason, but it certainly helps with this.

I can draw pretty well, so I've always appreciated art. I like the graphics in this game. I'm not saying you're dislike is wrong or unacceptable since it's your opinion and you're entitled to have it and express it, just try to do it in a way that the artist may not be insulted.
TriPhoenyx

Post by TriPhoenyx »

bencornell4 wrote:Can you teach me to make art? I want to make a game! hahahaha. im serious though.

Lol!

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles." - Sun Tzu
TriPhoenyx

Post by TriPhoenyx »

Would it be possible to hold a contest to name a new card or something?

Barnabus Fus

Post by Barnabus Fus »

Without criticism one is left with a community of yes men all agreeing that a picture shur is purty. Psychology 101 - Groupthink. My precious - One ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.
I agree, we should all agree. What's not to agree about being agreeable? Agree?
Your mind is the weapon. The sword in your hand is only an instrument of your will.
Pharnabus Bus is watching and waiting for the perfect moment to strike.
VertuHonagan

Post by VertuHonagan »

Insomneac826 wrote:I like the artwork. Since when is it a bad thing for a video game to be cartoonish and silly looking instead of realistic and gritty looking. I think art like this is more scalable to a wider range of devices of varying capabilities. If it was too "real" looking, it would lag a lot more and have trouble running on more devices. Business 101... make sure as many people as possible can use your product. Not sure if the art direction went this route for that reason, but it certainly helps with this.

I can draw pretty well, so I've always appreciated art. I like the graphics in this game. I'm not saying you're dislike is wrong or unacceptable since it's your opinion and you're entitled to have it and express it, just try to do it in a way that the artist may not be insulted.

I did do it in a way that made it less insulting. The art is almost exactly like mine when I draw from imagination. Buildings, statues, items, etc are drawn extremely well and look really realistic in this game. I love the artwork on them and they don't look cartoony at all. The characters themselves however are on a much lower level in my opinion.

I'm not saying the artist is bad, only that they excel at drawing non living creatures. While the living creatures themselves could use more practice to get better proportioned and drawn to the same high level drawing as the buildings.

Tripheonix, no one may like a critic that is true. However, you will never push people to improve themselves, if you're always complimenting them on areas where they still have room for improvement.

I'd rather be disliked and encourage the artists to push themselves to draw better people than, to be liked and never see the artist improve their very few shortcomings.
Insomneac826

Post by Insomneac826 »

Barnabus Fus wrote:Without criticism one is left with a community of yes men all agreeing that a picture shur is purty. Psychology 101 - Groupthink. My precious - One ring to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.
I agree, we should all agree. What's not to agree about being agreeable? Agree?

That's why I wasn't telling him he needed to agree, just disagree in a less insulting way. I normally wouldn't care but for some reason as the years go by people are getting more easily offended by more minor things and that in itself I find offensive lol.

I'm with you... let everyone say whatever they want even if nobody agrees so we can have exchange of ideas and thoughtful discussions.
TriPhoenyx

Post by TriPhoenyx »

Insomneac826 wrote:I like the artwork. Since when is it a bad thing for a video game to be cartoonish and silly looking instead of realistic and gritty looking. I think art like this is more scalable to a wider range of devices of varying capabilities. If it was too "real" looking, it would lag a lot more and have trouble running on more devices. Business 101... make sure as many people as possible can use your product. Not sure if the art direction went this route for that reason, but it certainly helps with this.

I believe we are of the same mind here.

I apologize for being crude.

The point I would like to make is that there is a defined difference between critique and just bring critical.

This is a place where an art instructor is kind enough to answer questions. I don't feel it is an appropriate place to criticize their style.

I just want to encourage the devs to continue to be involved in the community without being subjected to negativity about their work.

Maybe start a new thread for problems with the art?

Mipwikefwien

Post by Mipwikefwien »

bencornell4 wrote:Can you teach me to make art? I want to make a game! hahahaha. im serious though.

Art alone can't make a game. Gotta learn programming and basic animation. Scratch programming is a good place to start. You need absolutely 0 programming knowledge. XD Art skills are gained through constant practice. Find a series you love and always draw their characters. CnC characters might be good for practice. :D
The Mip, who was one in posession of a broken meta deck, involving Rats and Shamans, have devasted the ladder especially with his Signature Woeten which sadly, he is not actually in possession of. He also has an obsession with avocados. Best fruits ever.
bencornell4

Post by bencornell4 »

Mipwikefwien wrote:

Art alone can't make a game. Gotta learn programming and basic animation. Scratch programming is a good place to start. You need absolutely 0 programming knowledge. XD Art skills are gained through constant practice. Find a series you love and always draw their characters. CnC characters might be good for practice. :D

i can code already to some extent, I also want to learn this art style just for fun!